Exciting things are happening at Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden! With the addition of Lost Hollow: The Kimbrell Children’s Garden, our focus on children is front and center. Exciting new school programs engage children throughout the Garden using experiential learning principles that integrate standards from multiple areas, including science, art, math, literature, and more. Choose one of our programs, carefully designed to address North and South Carolina Essential Standards as well as Common Core, according to the age of your students. We can customize any of our programs to older learners as well.
Planning Your Experience
Before Your Visit
- Submit program application at least three weeks before preferred
- Come prepared for weather. Programs take place rain or shine.
- Sturdy, closed-toe shoes only. Tennis shoes are recommended. No flip flops.
- Inform students they may encounter bees in the Garden, but remember, bees are attracted to flowers and prefer to leave humans alone.
- Notify the Garden of any special needs in your group.
- Plan to arrive at least 20 minutes before your scheduled program time.
During Your Visit
- Upon arrival, gather your class on the grass in front of the Visitor Pavilion. Garden staff will meet you there to coordinate admission.
- Adults with your group are responsible for monitoring student safety, managing group behavior and supporting program activities.
- Silence phones during programs.
- Be mindful of Garden guests.
- Be careful to not damage plants or Garden property.
- Scheduled end times for guided programs are not flexible, regardless of late arrival.
Lunch at the Garden
- Bring your lunch to the Garden!
- Lunches are moved to an outdoor picnic space upon arrival.
- Come prepared to picnic on the ground outside.
Shop The Garden Store
Be sure to stop at The Garden Store! Take the experience home with a Lost Hollow lunch bag, a Garden travel mug or a great book on gardening in the Carolinas. Members receive a 10% discount.
The Garden is pleased to offer free Individual Memberships (or credit toward a higher membership level) to all teachers who bring classes to the Garden for Guided School Programs. Please complete your Guided School Program evaluation to receive your teacher membership application.