We have used scarecrows all over the world for thousands of years. This fall, Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden is getting in on the action and will come alive with scarecrows of all different shapes and sizes. Interested in participating?
Guidelines for Participation
- Individuals or small groups are invited to participate including school groups, community groups, church groups or other
- Scarecrows must be family friendly and appropriate for all audiences. Entries that are in poor taste, defamatory, overly political, or contain overt brand advertising will not be accepted or displayed.
- Materials should be able to withstand outdoor conditionsfor the duration of the exhibition. All decorations should be firmly attached to the scarecrow. In extreme situations, any Scarecrow that deteriorates beyond acceptable condition may be removed by DSBG at any time. However, groups may have an opportunity to repair damaged scarecrows during the display dates if small fixes need to be made.
- The PVC framework for scarecrows will be provided by DSBG and must be picked up at DSBG’s Visitor Pavilion. Please view the timeline listed below.
- Scarecrows are to be delivered to DSBG fully assembled without need for electricity or tools.
- A sign listing each scarecrow’s title and group name will be provided by DSBG.
- DSBG staff will remove and dispose of scarecrows at the end of the exhibit if they are not picked up during specified times below.
|Friday, Sept. 14||By 5:00 pm||Online registration forms due|
|Thursday, Sept. 20 – Saturday, Sept. 22||9:30 am – 4:30 pm||Participants must pick up Scarecrow frames at DSBG Visitor Pavilion and turn in title form which includes scarecrow’s title, group name and 2-3 sentence descriptive statement|
|Wednesday, Sept. 26 – Saturday, Sept. 29||9:30 am – 4:30 pm||Participants’ completed scarecrows must be delivered to DSBG Visitor Pavilion and installed by participant|
|Thursday Nov. 1- Friday Nov. 2||9:30 am – 4:30 pm||Participants may remove their scarecrows if they want to keep them|
|Friday, Nov. 2||By 5:00 pm||All remaining scarecrows will be removed and discarded by DSBG staff by end of day unless otherwise approved by DSBG staff for later pick-up|
To participate in this fun community event, simply complete this online form by 5 pm on Friday, Sept.14. After submitting this form, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with more information. Please note that limited frames will be available for participation. Submit your registration by the due date for full consideration. Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden is NOT liable for any loss or damage.
Questions? Contact Jennifer Petrykowski at email@example.com or 704-829-1295.