In January, Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden held judging for its ninth annual Shutterbug Photography Contest. The 2012 contest was announced in July and amateur photographers, both young and old, from around the area submitted their favorite pictures of the Garden for judging. The Garden received over 250 entries this year.
The judges for this year’s contest were:
• Rick Haithcox of Haithcox Photography
• Mike Hensdill of The Gaston Gazette
• Peter Zay of Zayphoto.com
Things Remembered Custom Framing… And So Much More! of Gastonia sponsored the contest and also provided the matting and frames for the winning entries.
The winning photos will be displayed in the Visitor Pavilion through April 2013. Click here to view the press release.
Click here to view the 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005 Shutterbug winners.
- Contestants must be amateur photographers. Professional photographers are not eligible. The Garden considers you a professional photographer if you earn more than 20% of your annual income from the sale of your photographs or photography services. Eligible photos should not be published or accepted for publication by any publisher, media or other print or electronic means.
- All photographs must be taken at Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden.
- Each contestant may submit only one original photograph in each subject category. Photos may be in color or black & white, and they must be submitted as 8" x 10" prints (not electronic files).
- If a photo was submitted in a previous year it will be disqualified.
- Photographs should not be mounted or matted.
- Garden staff members and contractual partners, and their immediate family members are not eligible.
- Each photograph must be accompanied by a completed signed entry form attached to the back of the photograph. Make photocopies of the form to enter in more than one subject category.
- Entries will be judged in adult amateur and youth entrant categories and in seven subject categories - Plants, Wildlife, Water, People, Architecture/Artwork in the Garden, Events/Celebrations and Orchids & Tropical Plants.
- Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden reserves the right to mount and display any submitted photo. The Garden also reserves the right to publish any submitted photo with any DSBG materials (including print and electronic) or give to members of the media (including, but not limited to, newspapers, internet content, television and magazines) at any time throughout the universe.
- The decisions of the judges are final.
- Entries must be submitted to Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden, 6500 South New Hope Road, Belmont, NC 28012 no later than Dec. 31, 2012.
- Entries may be picked up at the Garden Admissions desk beginning May 1, 2013. Any entries not picked up by June 15, 2013 may be disposed of by Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden.
Enter the 2013 Shutterbug Contest
View the 2013 Shutterbug Rules
Download Frequently Asked Questions